Cupcakery Review: Smallcakes Crown Center in Kansas City, MO

 

My previous reviews of various Smallcakes around the Kansas City area have been, shall we say, less than enthusiastic.  Still, every time I see a new one, I give it a try in hopes my opinion will improve and I can pass that information along to all of you.  Well, it finally paid off!  The newest Smallcakes opened up in the old Big Momma's bakery space in Crown Center and it's worth a stop!


The space itself is really cute, especially considering my opinion of most other Smallcakes is that they are a little stark and uninviting.  Decorated in pinks and blues with cute signage, it definitely looks welcoming.

 
I went this time with two of my favorite cupcake partners in crime, namely my daughter Heidi and Cupcake Chloe famous for driving the former 3 Girls Cupcakes van.  I always value their opinions and their company.
 
 
I bought a nice variety of cupcakes including Red Velvet, Lemon, Pink Vanilla, Caramel Crunch, Cookies N Cream, Chocolate Cream and a specialty cupcake.  This location also carries ice cream, so we tried a strawberry as well.
 
 
The cupcakes always look good and I've never had a problem with freshness or taste either, but almost immediately after eating one, I usually feel like there's a rock in my stomach and feel terrible the rest of the day.  This time that didn't happen!!  I think it has something to do with the fact that for whatever reason, this Smallcakes sells regular sized cupcakes, not the jumbos like at all their other locations (though the price wasn't much better :P).  Perhaps eating less overall or a better cake to icing ratio did the trick, but whatever it was, I was finally able to enjoy my entire experience.  I'm still not a fan of their greasy fudge style chocolate icing, but everything else was very nice.  The ice cream was nothing special and the strawberry flavor was fairly artificial tasting, so I don't think I'll be going back for that aspect. 

Comments